Education of Homeless Children and Youth
The Ashwaubenon School District recognizes the unique needs of students and families living in transitional situations because of financial need. These students have certain educational rights under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act.

Children who lack a regular, fixed or adequate nighttime residence, including those who live in any of the following situations are considered homeless:

  • In a shelter, motel, hotel, vehicle, public place or campground
  • On the street
  • In an abandoned building, trailer or other inadequate accommodation
  • Doubled up/sharing housing with friends or relatives due to limited financial resources
  • Children of migrant workers
  • Children who are abandoned or awaiting foster care
  • Runaways
  • Students not living with a parent or guardian

Preschool and school-aged children who are considered homeless have the right to:

  • Go to school, no matter where he/she lives or how long he/she has lived there. They must be given access to the same public education, including preschool education, provided to other children.
  • Continue in the school they attended before becoming homeless or the school they last attended, if that is the student/guardian’s choice and is feasible.  If a school sends the child to a school other than the one requested, the school must provide the student/guardian with a written explanation and offer the right to appeal the decision.
  • Receive transportation to the school they attended before becoming homeless or the school they last attended, if requested.
  • Attend school and participate in school programs with children who are not homeless.  Children cannot be separated from the regular school program because they are homeless.
  • Enroll in school without giving a permanent address. Schools cannot require proof of residency that might prevent or delay school enrollment.
  • Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents required for enrollment.
  • Enroll and attend classes in the school of choice even while the school and student/guardian seek to resolve a dispute over enrollment.
  • Receive the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other children served in these programs.
  • Receive transportation to school and to school programs, free breakfast and lunch and school supplies
 When a family moves, the unaccompanied student/guardian should do the following:

  • Contact the school district’s homeless liaison.  In Ashwaubenon, contact Andrea Pasqualucci, 920.492.2935 ext. 3323 for help with enrollment or arranging for the child to continue in his or her former school. (Or contact someone at a shelter, social services office or the school can provide information on who to contact.)
  • Contact the school and provide any information that will assist the teachers in helping the student adjust to new circumstances.
  • Ask the local school liaison, the shelter provider or a social worker for assistance with clothing and school supplies, if needed.
If further assistance is needed, call the National Center for Homeless Education toll-free helpline at 1.800.308.2145.


Last Updated: 8/30/11